Thursday, June 7, 2012

Finishing up my first week

It's been a busy and wonderful week at the ASP!


Tuesday was the final transit of Venus until 2117! The ASP had an event at UC Berkeley's Lawrence Hall of Science.  Throughout the afternoon and the late evening, there was an array of viewing stations with solar telescopes set up and wonderful ASP staff members to help and explain the transit.  Over the course of the day, we estimated that there were a couple thousand or so people at the event! It was a wonderful day, and very exciting for everyone.


I've included some of my favorite snapshots:








(Can you see Venus??)


I spent the rest of the week researching and adding to my multicultural astronomy document, and helping the office out with a mailing.  (I found the postcard addressed to Neil deGrasse Tyson - so fun!).  I also worked on my application to get funding to go to the annual ASP meeting, with this year's theme as "Communicating Science" - hopefully everything will work out!  Had an interesting staff meeting today; very cool to see the non-profit and fundraising side of the ASP.


All in all, a great first week!

No comments:

Post a Comment